When it comes to choosing a foot pain specialist, many people are uncertain about what kind of doctor they ought to see. While several types of medical professionals exist to treat foot pain, orthopedic surgeons and podiatrist are the most common. Both are able to treat foot pain, but there are some differences.

At the Foot and Ankle Surgery Center of Excellence our orthopedic surgeons and podiatrists work together to give our patients the best of both specialties. To learn more or set up your consultation contact us at (888) 225-0763.

Orthopedic Foot and Ankle Surgeon

Orthopedics refers to a medical specialty that focuses on the diagnosis, treatment, and rehabilitation of the bones, muscles, tendons, ligaments, and joints. Some orthopedic doctors practice general orthopedics, but many focus on specific areas, such as the foot and ankle.

Education for orthopedic foot and ankle surgeons may include the following:

  • Undergraduate degree
  • Medical school degree
  • Orthopedic residency
  • Fellowship training in the treatment of foot and ankle problems

Orthopedic foot and ankle surgeons often treat foot deformities, foot injuries, heel spurs, fallen arches, as well as problems with the bones, muscles, tendons, and ligaments.


A podiatrist is a type of doctor who specializes in foot and ankle care. Podiatrists undergo general medical training plus special training in the foot, ankle, and lower leg.  Podiatrists are also trained to fit orthotics, custom shoes, and braces for the feet and lower legs.

Education for a podiatrist may include the following:

  • Undergraduate degree
  • Degree from podiatric medical school
  • Residency in podiatry

Podiatrists generally treat calluses, fallen arches, bunions, ingrown toenails, heel spurs, foot deformities, and foot and ankle injuries.

Difference Between Orthopedic Surgeon and Podiatrist

Although most orthopedic surgeons and podiatrists treat the same conditions, their training and approach are slightly different. Orthopedic surgeons have trained more in the entire musculoskeletal system, while podiatrists have focused on the foot an ankle area. At the Foot and Ankle Surgery Center of Excellence we make the choice between the two easier by offering both types of doctors working in cooperation.

Contact a Los Angeles Foot and Ankle Surgeon

Are you experiencing foot and ankle pain? Are you uncertain as to whether you should see a podiatrist or an orthopedic foot and ankle surgeon? At the Foot and Ankle Surgery Center of Excellence, we combine the best of both worlds to bring our patients the comprehensive foot and ankle care they need. Schedule your consultation today by calling us at (888) 225-0763.

Next, read about our world-class orthopedic surgeons and podiatrists.